Individual Tax Payer Identification Number (ITIN)

An Individual Tax Payer Identification Number (ITIN) is required for international students who do not have a Social Security Number (SSN) but are receiving grants, fellowships and scholarships from Harvard. An ITIN is used by Harvard to report the amount of a student's funding to the U.S. Internal Revenue Service (IRS). Harvard also uses the ITIN for the annual statement issued to you that reflects the funding information reported to the IRS. Click here for ITIN application instructions for F-1 students receiving grants, fellowships, or scholarships from Harvard.

ITINs are required for family members who do not have SSNs and are being claimed as tax dependents on a student's or scholar's annual state tax filing.

Note: Do not send your passport away for an ITIN application.