New Student Guide
Congratulations on your admission to Harvard University. The following links provide helpful information for you. As you prepare to come to Harvard we hope that you will take a few moments to explore some of the links we have listed below to obtain specific information that helps ease your transition to Harvard.
To help you with your next step in getting to Harvard, please click here to watch an instructional video on how to obtain your U.S. student visa.
For questions related to international student admissions, financial aid, and degree programs please contact the admissions office of the appropriate school at Harvard.
Preparing for Arrival
- HIO Registration & Orientation
- Harvard ID
- Harvard Resources
- Health Insurance
- Driver's License and State Issued IDs
- Living in the Community
- Adjusting to a New Culture
- Tax and Social Security Numbers
- Student Portal Registration
As you prepare to leave home please be sure to have the following items with you when traveling to the United States.
- Valid passport
- Visa document (Form I-20 or DS-2019)
- Valid visa in passport (not applicable to Canadian citizens)
- SEVIS fee payment receipt
- Admission letter
- Financial support document(s)
- Medical record including immunization records
- Money for initial expenses
If your plans change and you wish to come to Harvard on a later date than the start date listed on your Form I-20 or DS-2019, or if you decide not to come to Harvard at all, please notify the HIO and your school or department immediately, because the HIO is required to either reissue your visa document or report the change to the U.S. Government.
This section provides helpful information that pertains to F and J students who are currently enrolled at Harvard University.
- Maintaining Legal Status
- Transferring Out of Harvard
- Social Security Numbers