State Issued ID

Massachusetts Driver's License

As of March 26, 2018, to get or renew any driver’s license, ID card, or learner’s permit, you will need documentation showing U.S. citizenship or lawful presence as required by federal and state law.  You will be able to start applications online and get the required documents ready for their new credential. You will also need to choose between getting a REAL ID license or ID card, or a Standard license or ID card. Visit for more information and a complete list of acceptable identification documents. For instructions on the new process click here.

In order to obtain a Massachusetts driver’s license, you must go to a Registry of Motor Vehicles (RMV) office and take a written test in order to obtain a learner’s permit. You must later take a road test (driving test) in order to get the actual driver’s license. For information on Massachusetts driving regulations, consult the RMV web site. For information on application instructions, click here.

RMV has provided helpful tips on driver's license and ID applications: RMV Tips for Success and Document Checklist.

Your visa document (Form DS-2019 or Form I-20) must indicate an authorized stay in the U.S. of at least 12 months total to be eligible for a learner's permit, driver's license, or Mass ID card. If your Form DS-2019 or Form I-20 is valid for less than 12 months total, you will only be eligible to apply for the MA Liquor ID.

B1, B2 visa and Visa Waivers (WB and WT) do not prove legal presence, and are therefore not acceptable for an MA driver's license, and MA ID card. B visa holders and those on Visa Waivers are not eligible to apply for an MA driver's license, and MA ID card.

You may find information about driving on your home country's valid license on the RMV website.

The RMV web site has a list of branch offices and current wait times. Please note that some locations only provide limited services (noted on the web site). The addresses of two nearby branch offices are listed below. Both of these locations are open Monday through Friday, 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.

Boston: 136 Blackstone Street
Watertown: 550 Arsenal Street

MA ID Card

To be eligible for a Mass ID card, you must:
• Be at least 14 years old.
• Be a Massachusetts resident (bring evidence of residency)
• Not hold a driver’s license in any U.S. state.
• Have a Social Security number (or a certified denial letter from the SSA).

MA Liquor ID Card

To be eligible for a Mass Liquor ID card, you must:
• Be at least 21 years old.
• Not hold a Massachusetts driver's license.
• Have a Social Security number (or a certified denial letter from the SSA).

Application Instructions for an MA ID/Liquor ID Card

In order to obtain an MA ID Card or a Liquor ID Card, you must visit a full-service RMV branch office. You cannot apply for an MA ID card or Liquor ID card online or by mail. The RMV does not take appointments for these applications. Please note that the 12 month rule does not apply to MA Liquor ID applications and individuals in any visa status are eligible to apply for an MA Liquor ID.

You must take the following required documents to an RMV office:

• A completed Class D, M, or D/M License and ID Card Application

• Proof of Massachusetts residence (not required for a Liquor ID card), such as:
o Loan contract
o W-2 form
o Social Security statement

• Proof of your birth date, such as:
o passport
o birth certificate
o Out-of-state driver's license

• Proof of your signature, such as:
o Passport
o Canceled personal check
o Social Security card

• Proof of your visa status:
o Form I-20 or Form DS-2019
o I-94 printout
o A letter from the registrar’s office at your school certifying that you are a student at Harvard

• Social Security number (SSN), if you have one.
o If you do not have an SSN, you need to bring a denial letter from the Social Security Administration (SSA)

• Payment for the $25 fee.

All documents must be originals. The MA RMV does not accept photocopies. You must have separate documents to prove your residence, date of birth and signature. One document cannot be used to satisfy more than one category.

Your new MA ID card or Liquor ID card will be mailed to you. The MA RMV will issue you a temporary MA ID or Liquor ID card for 30 days. Please note that restaurants, bars, etc. are legally permitted to exercise their own discretion in deciding whether or not to accept the Massachusetts ID Card as proof of age. For more complete information, refer to RMV’s web site.