Extending Visas

Once a year, the department administrator noted in ISD will receive a Notification of Extension/Departure Form (eNED) for each scholar who has registered with the HIO, usually six months before the scholar's authorized stay in the United States will expire. The department administrator should complete the form and return it to the HIO as soon as possible. Please note that it is inappropriate for the scholar to complete the eNED. The HIO can only send eNEDs out for scholars who have registered with us. Therefore, it is very important that all new international scholars register with the HIO.

If the scholar will be continuing his or her appointment with the faculty sponsor, the department must complete the relevant section of the eNED, providing all details requested. The department should be sure to provide accurate funding information and exact dates of the extension. If any of the information changes after the form is returned to the HIO, please call your advisor to discuss the changes. In some instances, the university is required to inform the government of changes.

It is important to return the eNED in a timely fashion to ensure that there will be no disruption of the individual's salary or immigration status. Once the HIO receives the completed eNED, it will process the extension and send the scholar a newly updated visa document. Extensions must be processed before the current visa status expires. Depending on the visa type, processing time can take up to 30 working days (J-1 status) or up to 6 months (H-1B or O-1 status). After the extension is processed, the Form I-9 must be updated if the person is on payroll, as required by the payroll office.

Please note that completing the eNED does not extend the academic appointment, which is also necessary, and is handled by sending the appropriate information to the corresponding Dean's office.

The eNED should also be completed when a scholar's appointment has ended, when the individual has left the university or obtained permanent residence (a green card). When the HIO receives this type of NED, the scholar's record will be withdrawn from the HIO database as well as any corresponding government databases.