Talk To An Advisor
There are various ways you can contact an HIO advisor. If you know who your HIO advisor is, you can contact him or her directly by email or phone. For travel signatures or quick immigration questions, you can stop by the HIO during our regular office hours, Monday through Friday, 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m., to speak with an Advisor On Call (AOC).
Advisors on Call
The HIO has an Advisor on Call (AOC) available daily 9:00 - 3:00 for routine services such as travel signatures on visa documents and registration procedures for new arrivals. Students and scholars do not need appointments to see the AOC for basic questions. This service is provided on a first-come first-served basis.
For your convenience, the HIO also holds office hours at the Harvard Business School, Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health, Children's Hospital and Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center. For details, see our Office Hours.
Typical issues handled by the AOC include:
- Basic questions concerning visa documents and travel plans
- Travel signatures for F-1 and J-1 visa holders with sponsorship from Harvard University
- Check-in registration for incoming students and scholars
- General procedures for obtaining visa documents
- General questions about maintaining visa status
- Letters for Social Security Number and ITIN
- School and program transfers
- Issues that require timely attention
- International students and scholars are encouraged to make appointments with the HIO advisors designated to their schools for more complicated immigration related issues, such as work permission, leaves of absence, visa extensions, etc. Appointments with HIO advisors provide more individualized and thorough consultation.
To schedule an appointment with your HIO advisor use our online appointment system.
If you are not sure which advisor is assigned to your school or department please refer to the HIO's advisor assignment list below.
Who Is My Advisor?
Each international student and scholar at Harvard University is assigned a particular advisor in the HIO. Please click the form below to identify your advisor.